Who’s In Control of Your Job Search?
“ ‘For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,’ declares the Lord.
‘As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.’ ”
Do you ever ask yourself, “Is God really in control when my circumstances are in such turmoil?” When we think of God in control, we approach that concept from our finite, human perspective. It reminds me of that old song by Tony Bennett, “If I Ruled the World.”
You see, if I ruled the world, I would:
- Eliminate pain, which would completely destroy God’s early warning system.
- Eliminate poverty, which would eradicate opportunities for the church to be God’s hands helping those in need.
- Ensure full-time, continuous, meaningful employment, which would delete this experience from God’s curriculum for us to learn to be more like His Son and depend on Him.
- Remove life-threatening diseases, which would cause a serious overpopulation problem and remove God’s reminder that this life is not all there is.
- Guarantee complete agreement between believers 24/7, which would remove one of God’s means of displaying to the world how different believers are when they can disagree and still live in harmony.
Yes, God really is in control
As Isaiah reminds us, God’s ways are not our ways, and His thoughts are not our thoughts. His way of doing things is so far above ours, and so much more complex. When I think I’ve got a better way, it’s really because I don’t understand His way.
So when you’re ready to ask if God is really in control during a long and disheartening job search, a better question might be, “God, what are you doing during this difficult time that I am not seeing?” Whether you find the answer to that or not, trust that He really is at work and in control.
God doesn’t seek the limelight. He doesn’t need publicity for everything He does. He doesn’t need headlines, song lyrics, or poems to proclaim His goodness. He is good, just because He is good. He acts on our behalf, just because He loves us. Period. End of story.
Let’s learn to bask in the wonder that He does love us, that He does work on our behalf, that He does pray for us through the ministry of the Holy Spirit, that He does have a future and a hope for us. Woohoo!!
Oh, the wonder of your plan. Father, help me to trust and to increase my understanding of your mysterious ways.
If you would like to explore working with a Christian centered Career Coach, Contact me for a no-obligation 60-90 minute job search consultation with America’s Job Searching Coach, or text me at 425-220-0707 and we can discuss your situation, what you would like to achieve, and structure your job search to fit your uniqueness.
I am also available to speak to groups.
Comments are closed.