How Can You Get Past Your Job Search Fears?
“There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear,
because fear has to do with punishment.”
I John. 4:18
What are you afraid of?
Fear of failure. Fear of success. Fear of loneliness, humiliation, exposure. Fear of poverty, being lost, and losing meaning. Fear of not getting a job. Fear of getting the “wrong” job. And the list goes on.
So, how do you handle your personal fears? And what does the scripture mean when it says, “Perfect love casts out fear?”
How do you deal with fear?
Dealing with fear effectively necessitates a change in perspective and involves at least these five changes:
- My view of the Lord: When Christ said in Revelation 1:17,18, “I am the first, the last, and the living one” He was making a bold statement. When we begin to grasp who Christ is, we begin to move from fear to understanding that nothing is beyond His control.
- My view of myself: When I begin to grasp how God has made me, I can catch His vision for what He may do through me. When I see I am in a dynamic tension between power and weakness, I can realize my need for Christ, but help dispel the fear.
- My view of success: When I begin to view success with heavenly eyes, my fears begin to crumble. Unfortunately, even in Christian circles, we too often view success the same way the world does. We measure ourselves and others by influence over others, income level, promotions, popularity, books, music, or other products sold. I know I do. It’s a constant battle to move beyond this perspective, but it helps remove the fear.
- My view of love: “Perfect love casts out fear.” But how do I achieve “perfect love?” If that’s what it takes to remove fear, then I need to learn how to love perfectly. And that’s just it – I can’t. It’s only as I learn of the One who loves me perfectly, grow closer to Him, and get to see His heart, that my fear will dissipate because I know He has my best at heart.
- My view of results: When I begin to catch the notion that I cannot control results, I will begin to fear less. There are many things I can control, but results is not one of them. I can control energy, time, and money invested in a project. I can control when I take on a project, who will work on it, and the approach that I take. But once these are undertaken, I cannot control the results. Learning to leave the results in God’s hands, helps to move us out from under the cloud of fear.
So how are you handling your fears? Fear will never totally disappear. But it can be minimized. It can even stimulate you to new and higher plateaus of life in God’s presence. Yes, “perfect love does cast out fear,” and His love is perfect.
How do you see God’s perfect love helping you through the challenge of your job search? Which fears can His love help you get past so you have a better outcome. You can overcome…
- Fear of rejection
- Fear of Interviewing
- Fear of Competition
- Fear of not being good enough
- Any other fears you may have…
Conqueror of fear, help me to put and keep my eyes on You, for then I will be able to see that I am perfectly loved, and can see beyond the fear.
If you would like to explore working with a Christian centered Career Coach, Contact me for a no-obligation consultation and we can discuss your situation, what you would like to achieve, and structure your job search to fit your uniqueness.