Make Your Job Search An Adventure Rather Than Drudgery
“As the deer pants for streams of water,
so my soul pants for you, my God.”
Your job search doesn’t have to be drudgery and uninteresting…you can make it a great adventure with the right attitude and by following this advice…
What does it mean to “engage with” God? Compare this to a couple engaged to be married. During the engagement they talk more, relate more, think and discuss the future more. The key word in all of these statements is “more.” They do more of everything to become more intimate and more closely tied together in their relationship.
The same is true of engaging with God. It’s the idea of more. When engaging with God, the quest is to see more clearly that God is intimately involved in your life, even your job search, on a daily basis. He’s not sitting out there in the heavens just observing.
Here are a few ideas of how to engage with God daily.
- Communicate: Talk to God continually (we call it prayer in Christian circles), but informally as you would a best friend–what Paul refers to as “pray without ceasing.” When you’re driving, walking the halls to meetings, and doing other mindless tasks, use the time to talk to God (but you probably want to do this internally).
- Envision: Picture in your mind God with you in every activity. Whether you are alone or in a group, see Him there also.
- WWJD: Popular awhile back, ask yourself, “What would Jesus do” when faced with a decision, question, or perplexing issue.
- HWJL: An upgrade (v. 2.0) is asking, “How would Jesus live” if he were me, in my shoes, at this moment and facing what I’m facing.
- Meditation: Reflect on passages of scripture using various meditation techniques.
Each of these activities is meant to get you beyond your own skin and to take on the eyes of Christ. When you engage more with God, even a job search becomes more of an adventure.
Thank you, Heavenly Guide, for inviting me to more intimately engage with you. Help me to keep a heavenly perspective.
If you would like to explore working with a Christian centered Career Coach, Contact me for a no-obligation consultation and we can discuss your situation, what you would like to achieve, and structure your job search to fit your uniqueness.